Teacher has long history of great careers

Spanish teacher Cesar Restrepo chooses teaching after being orthopedic surgeon and professor

A man did a lot before showing up at west

Jermia Davis, Staff Writer

You could call him doctor.

You could call him pastor.

Now you call him teacher.

Spanish teacher Cesar Restrepo can answer to all of these.

He was born in  Caracas, Venezuela, where he graduated from high school. During that time, he lived as an exchange student in Boston

“During school, I took anatomy,” Restrepo said. “ And that’s when I decided to study medicine.”

After medical school in Venezuela Central University, he did his residency in Orthopedic Surgery at Caracas University Hospital and then came to the United States to do a two-year fellowship in sports medicine and shoulder/knee surgery (two of the most commonly injured joints in athletes).

“When I returned to Caracas, I was an attending professor and surgeon at the Orthopedic Surgery Department at Venezuela Central University and also had my private practice at Caracas Medical Center,” Restrepo said.

He was a doctor and professor for about 20 years.

“It was very demanding but also fun and very satisfying as I dealt with lots of athletes on whom I would do surgery and they would go back to playing sports,” he said.

It also included a lot of fracture surgery because of motor vehicle accidents, falls, anything that involves trauma. To fix those, they would use titanium plates and screws that are used to put the bones back into place.

“It is pretty gruesome but you get used to it,” Restrepo said.

Then he got married and moved to Texas and chose to go to seminary.

“It took me five years to get my masters in theology,” Restrepo said. “It’s the best thing I’ve ever done, I loved it.”

Then Restrepo applied for a teacher position at West where and he’s been teaching Spanish for four years.

“It’s a total change from medicine but I love it because the teachers and students are awesome,” Restrepo said. “It’s a great place to work and I hope to be here for a long time.”