School comes back but not everyone comes

Anahi Diaz

Students sit separated and unacquainted.

Shaleam Jackson, Copy Editor

It’s been a chaotic two months since school has come back at least partially in person. At West, 48 percent of the students and parents chose for the children to come back to school.

While it may be chaotic, a lot of students love being here or would love to come back.

“I’m practically begging my family to let me go back in the third six weeks,” sophomore Preston Neely said. “I just miss being in real school with my friends”

Still some are skeptical of how those on campus will stay safe and social distance.

“If only teachers were as serious about stopping covid as they are with stopping a student with their hood or hat on, we’d be 100 percent safe,”  senior Amado Martinez said.

Senior Jesus Alvarado agreed with Martinez.

“Are we really supposed to trust our safety to students who still think it’s just a cold?” Alvarado said.

Martinez thinks teachers give students too much credit for taking care of themselves.

A lot of the students aren’t being careful.

Students sit around in big groups and eat in the halls with their masks off. They get “Hey, put your mask on” or “Make sure you sanitize.”

West has had nearly a dozen known covid 19 cases but none have created further infection or spreading. There would have been more if teachers and administration hadn’t been vigilant about keeping students safe.

“Honestly it’s not as bad as I thought it would be” senior Ana Gonzalez said. “Teachers like Mrs.[Patricia]Contreras make us wipe down our desks before we leave.”

The district and the school have been proactive, sanitizing common areas frequently, spraying down the building every night and encouraging students and teachers to sanitize where they have been working. Masks are mandatory and washing hands and using hand sanitizer are emphasized.

In a lot of cases, a teacher stands at the door and squeezes a dollop of sanitizer in each student’s hand as they enter. And if they have a split lunch, it might happen twice

“Although a lot of these small actions may fly over our heads,” senior Miriam Solis said. “But they all add up into truly keeping us as safe as possible.”

West has been precise with everything building up to this moment from making students wait until the second six weeks to come back to making everyone social distance even in the crowded hallways.