Friends: Though apart they tell each other’s stories

Naudia Cantu and Brandy Arredondo, Staff writers

Arredondo’s virtual life

Sophomore Brandy Arredondo’s schedule is more varied than students who wag themselves up to the school. Arredondo is virtual, taking school behind the confines of a chromebook.

Her days don’t start at the same time. She wakes up on A days at 8:45, brushes her hair then gets to her class..

B days, she sleeps in till 9:50 because her 5B teacher does not let them get on Google Classroom until 10.

“It’s a lot easier doing virtual because I know what to do and what not to do,” Arredondo said.

She works in her bedroom sitting on a black couch with a coffee table in front of her, along with her laptop and a bottle of water.

She doesn’t want to stay virtual.

If given the option of staying virtual next year, she would choose to go school because she does not want the last two years to be online

“I want to keep constant on how I started this year,” she said of being virtual. “I can concentrate better on my work.

She is happy about staying virtual and plans to stay virtual for the rest of this year..

Some virtual people think they don’t get a fair share of the teaching as do the people at school.

Arredondo disagrees. She said all her classes are blended learning and the teachers show what is going on in the class. They turn their camera anyway from themselves so she and her classmates can see what the teacher is writing.

Virtual has been easy for the most part for her, but when she is stuck on something or does not understand the topic, she said she’s too shy to ask the teacher for help

She does see an advantage of working from home.

“Being on virtual helped me on being more organized with my work,” she said.

Arredondo doesn’t have to do Edgenuity because most of her classes are AP classes and some of her teachers decide just to teach blended classes to make it easier. She thinks in the current situation, virtual is the better option for her even though online can be a little confusing and hard.
As for her grades, they look the same as they were last year which is all A’s.

Cantu’s virtual life

Sophomore Naudia Cantu yawned as she woke up at 8:20 on the dot to the sound of her phone blaring in her ears. A majority of her day consisted of virtual school on her chromebook provided to her by the school.

“I sit on a chair that is not all that comfortable,” she said “I put my stuff on a black table that is in a spare room in our house. It’s filled with books, pencils, papers and water bottles.”

Due to Cantu being a virtual learner, for her sophomore year, she is full of smiles because she believes it is going rather easily for her. Her schedule is consistent, so nothing bothers her if an obstacle is thrown her way.

Her morning starts off the same every day.

“I go to the restroom and do things like wash my face, wash my hands, use the toilet, and brush my teeth,” she said. “ I go on my phone for the remainder of the time while I wait on my first period teacher to begin the Google Meet.”

Her grades are better as a virtual student. She says she is fully motivated, even while learning from a screen.

Everything is a breeze, according to her, although she has a problem with her math teacher. She doesn’t resent him, but would like if he actually taught her a bit of what she is supposed to learn. That is a consequence she has to deal with, due to being at home rather than at school.

“In math, he barely teaches us [virtual learners] anything,” she said. “He would rather focus on those in person.”

Although it’s difficult for teachers’ to balance both strategies for learning; they should at least attempt to. Completely abandoning the children on one side does not benefit the other.

“It’s all fine though because I am still managing to pass his class. The rest of my classes are enjoyable and the teachers actually teach,” she said.