Culinary expands students world

Food takes students around the world

Luis-Angel Lozano, Staff writer

Junior Devon Castillo poured dishwashing liquid on his blue washcloth and ran warm water over it. He plucked a fork out of the sink and scrubbed it till it was clean, rinsed it and handed the clean utensil to his class and work mate.

Leon polished each of the utensils before placing them on a tray.

Due to the pandemic, culinary required extra work. The coronavirus required extra care with cleanliness.

Other students worked on Google Slides. Their assignment was about tamales and their place of origin.

Students later were asked the ingredients needed to make tamales.

Teacher Tyler Stickle, played music and joked with some of his students.

Castillo, on the other hand, started to talk about some of his favorite dishes and asked Stickle “Do you know what milanesa is?” which is a very popular South american dish.

Stickle laughed and said ¨No, what is that?”

Stickle and Castillo seemed to have a good relationship as they joked and talked about a variety of topics.

On another day, the class task was to make 40 pita breads. Each student would get dough at their station.

But before that, the first thing students had to do was disinfect their stations, then wash their hands.

Junior Pablo Hernandez got his dough first. Hernandez started to ask specific questions.

“How much is the dough supposed to weigh?” he asked.
“No more than 100 grams,” Stickle answered.

Hernandez tossed flour on his table so the dough wouldn’t stick. He kept his hands dusted as well.

He continued peppering Stickle with questions. Stickle’s smile showed he liked his interest.

Hernandez tossed the dough, cut it and finally measured it. By the time he is through, he has 10 dough balls and waits for others to finish.

At 10:50, Stickle announced the next step to the class – letting the dough rest for 10 minutes.

Hernandez tapped his foot and stalked around the classroom.
“Is it already 11?” Hernandez asked.
Stickle looked at his Apple watch and shook his head no.

At exactly 11 a.m., Stickle told the class to place their rested bread inside the oven

for three minutes and wait for it to rise.

Hernandez grabbed his bread and carefully placed the pita bread inside the oven.

He watched closely as he saw his bread puff up. He removed his pita bread, cautious not to burn his fingers. Once he was done with one, he had to bake the rest of the rolled-up dough.

At 11:35, Hernandez was done with his bread and transferred it onto the steel rack to cool. Stickle waited for all his students to finish baking and congratulated Hernandez and his classmates on their success.