VLA students find success

Victor Mireles

When the meet ends, the teacher can only hope that the virtual students are finishing their work. They can hope but without the ability to walk by to check on students. They won’t know till when the work is due.

Schools nationwide indicate 52 percent of students are virtual, according to a poll done by CNBC. About 25 percent will attend daily. Another 19 percent of students are in hybrid school combinations in which students may attend for two weeks and then be virtual for the next weeks.  Four percent of districts are still undecided about making the decision to be virtual or face to face. 

Mesquite has a bit of them all. Approximately 50 percent of the students are virtual and 48 percent are on campus. But some virtual students are required to be on campus for certain classes either sporadically or daily. For example, cosmetology requires students to attend while phlebotomy requires they come in to get the required number of sticks – successful blood draws. 

Parents struggle with the choices and the decisions to permit students to attend school in person or virtually during the coronavirus pandemic

About 56.4 million students attend elementary, middle and high schools across the United States, according to the NCES.ed.gov website. About 50.7 million are public school students.

Some half of these students work outside of classrooms, tied to a screen and trying to stay focused.  Teachers seek the best ways to teach and interact with their students from afar. 

In Mesquite, the schools provided students with chromebooks and hot spots if they did not have a way to learn from home.  

But it’s been a couple of months since covid-19 forced parents and students to make the choice of attending in person or not.  

It’s not worked the same for all the virtual students. 

Freshman Jose Aguirre is home for quarantine after being exposed to covid. He has managed to keep an A average in all of his classes.

‘’I have been quarantined because I was working with my friend on an assignment at school when he tested positive,” Aguirre said.”I got tested negative but the nurses sent me home and said to be quarantined for a few days.’’

Meanwhile, freshman Jordan Perez has maintained a B overall grade average and has been virtual since the beginning of the school year 

‘’I like doing virtual,” Perez said. “I am at home with family and I never liked the school food and because covid, I like being safe inside.’’

Despite the challenges remote learning has posed, some students have gotten creative with there different approaches to education. 

Freshman Christoper Cruz keeps an A overall grade and is virtual.

‘’With this pandemic that is going on, I like staying home,” Cruz said. “They give us Edgenuity rather than Google Class. It’s easier than what they give us at school. We only have to do assignments on there and not whole essays and slide shows.’’

Exam days showed that a majority of students, both VLA and Face to Face are exempt.