Paramedic becomes health teacher

Wade sees the best and worst

Naudia Cantu, Staff Writer

Paramedic Matthew Wade dashed from the back of the ambulance, racing to the side of a wreck with injuries. He was ready for the worst and hopeful for the best. 

Wade, now a health teacher, was a paramedic for 10 years. 

He said being a paramedic was not the easiest job. It was fast paced and stressful. Wade had to be ready to respond to anything when it came to medical emergencies 

“There are always people having medical emergencies and you have to be ready to respond to anything that could happen at any time,” Wade said. “But it is also exciting to be able to help people ”  

Typical days of work for Wade were shifts that ranged 12 to 24 hours, and on the busier days, Wade could not even get to stop to eat or take a short break. 

To deal with the stress of the job, Wade played games on his phone. Other times he talked things out to stay calm in frustrating situations. 

“Using my knowledge of being in the field as a paramedic, I learned how to deal with stress better than I had before” Wade said. 

Before Wade chose to be a paramedic, he didn’t have a plan for college. He took a variety of classes but nothing really caught his attention until a friend who was a firefighter suggested looking into being an EMT. 

As he learned more about it, Wade started to like the idea and started to study to become a paramedic. It was not easy. Wade had to get EMT certification which took one semester in college. 

After that he went to a paramedic school which took two years. 

Once Wade was done with school. he had to take a certification test and continue training classes every year to maintain certification. It takes 144 hours of training every four years to stay certified. 

After Wade had been on the ambulance for 10 years, helping people of different ages with illnesses and injuries, he wanted a change. He liked teaching new employees how to work in the ambulance.

“I enjoyed teaching new students and employees when I worked on the ambulance, so I thought I would try teaching for real.” Wade said. 

Wade’s experience and knowledge helps him daily now as he teaches students about health science. He believes It was worth all the years and hours of training to where he is now. 

Covid takes toll on show choir

13 members unable to work together but Alayla Johnson continues to find joy in singing